Sunshine Whispers participates in the Amazon Associates and Amazon Influencer Programs. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned on this site and in this post.
August is such a busy month, isn’t it? For our family, it is a month of birthdays, county fairs, VBS, the hot and lazy last days of summer, and the beginning of the school year (even for preschool). However, we definitely carved out time to read every day. Here are some of the books we loved this month. For more book ideas and other activities for kids, check out our growing list of fun and simple activities you can do at home! Read on for this month’s reading list!
10 Great Books for Kids: August
Affiliate links are included for your convenience.
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr., John Archambault, and illustrated by Lois Ehlert– Now that Sweet Pea is starting to learn to read through phonics and other literacy activities, we are really enjoying this book about the alphabet.
- This Book Just Ate My Dog by Richard Byrne– This is such a clever and fun book! Find out what happens when Bella walks her dog. Naughty, naughty book!
- Pete the Cat and the New Guy by Kimberly and James Dean– Pete the Cat may be a little scrawny, but he sure is a cool dude. This is a great book for the new school year, as many kids are busy (hopefully) making new friends.
- The Quiet Book by Deborah Underwood, illustrated by Renata Liwska– Sweet Pea is anything but quiet. This cute little book is great for providing context for preschoolers about when it is more appropriate to not scream at the top of their lungs. … and parents everywhere rejoiced!
- Full Moon and Stars by Lee Bennett Hopkins, Illustrated by Marcellus Hall– Kyle and Katie are two friends who try to do something by themselves.. and it turns out fine. However, when they create something together it is better than either of them imagined.
- A Day at the Fire Station by Richard Scarry– Do you have a fire fighter lover? Do you want to familiarize your kiddo with fire trucks and the like? Well, this is such a great book. Cute pictures and all the words your kid would need to know.
- Sammy the Seal by Syd Hoff– This is a classic I read when I was a kid. It hasn’t lost any of its charm over the years. Your preschooler would love this book about Sammy and the other zoo animals.
- Little Red Riding Hood— retold by Candice Ransom, illustrated by Tammi Lyon– Speaking of classics, you can’t get much more classic than Little Red Riding Hood. This is a very young-child friendly version of the story and the illustrations are adorable!
- If You Take a Mouse to School by Laura Numeroff, illustrated by Felicia Bond– If you bonded with Mouse over his chocolate chip cookies. Of course, you will want to see how he gets ready for the school year! Delightful!
- Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker and Tom Lichtenheld– This is a modern children’s classic about saying goodnight. Great book for super energetic kids who need to be convinced that it is ok to rest and sleep.
What great books are you reading right now? How did your summer reading plans go? I would love to hear more suggestions below!
Thanks for reading!