These Maryland and DC Christmas train events will delight you and your kids! Santa trains and train gardens are a great way to connect during the holidays! (updated for 2022!)
What is it about trains and Christmas that is just so magical? Whether you enjoy a cozy ride in the country with Santa Claus or pop into the local fire department to see their model train display, no holiday season would be complete without checking out a Christmas train.
These Christmas train activities and events are sure to keep the Holiday magic going strong for you and your entire family.
11 Maryland and DC Area Christmas Train Events Your Kids Will Love!
1. B&O Railroad Museum Magical Holiday Express
Tickets to the very popular Polar Express are a hot number (yes, I did write that. lol). The B&O Railroad Museum has expanded their dates for the Polar Express and it’s really a fun interactive experience for kids!
- Polar Express!
- November 25-27 & December 2-4, 9-11 & 16-19, 2022
2. Walkersville Southern Railroad Santa Train
This is probably one of our family’s favorite holiday traditions. The Walkersville Southern Santa Train is perfect for young kids. It isn’t intimidating, the ride is gorgeous, and milk and cookies are served at the end of the ride. You can read my review here. To purchase tickets click here.
3. Christmas at Strasburg Rail Road
Trust me, this Lancaster County train experience is totally worth the drive. We have experienced both their traditional Santa Train and the Night Before Christmas train. They are both fantastic. Here are some more details:
- Santa’s Paradise Express: https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/ride/events/santas-paradise-express/Much like the Walkersville Southern Santa Train, Jolly Old Saint Nick will pay each kid a visit and riders will also be treated to other live entertainment designed to put a smile on your face and a warm fuzzy in your heart. Make sure to come early or stay late to check out the other Christmas-themed activities included in your ticket cost.
- The Night Before Christmas Train: https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/ride/events/the-night-before-christmas-train/Just like the name suggests, don your pajamas and get ready to sip on some milk and cookies while enjoying a dramatic reading of this beloved classic. You might even sneak a peak of the little red elf himself!
- Christmas Tree Train: This is such a unique Christmas experience your family will treasure! Ride aboard the Christmas Tree Train to Leaman Place Grove where you can choose a pre-cut Frasier or Douglas Fir tree and have it delivered by steam on a flatcar back to the station. https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/ride/events/christmas-tree-train/
4. Western Maryland Scenic Railroad
Take a one-of-a-kind trek through Winter Land aboard the Western Maryland. In 2022, the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad will once again host the Polar Express!
The ride is 60 minutes long and tickets start at $35. Here is more information on the Polar Express Experience.
5. North Central Railway of York
We checked out the Santa Express a few years ago and it was totally awesome! Located in York, PA (so just over the MD-PA border), these trains have a fantastic reputation with families.
- Santa Express: Our train is decked out for the festive season, bringing holiday cheer, no matter your age. Climb aboard for a ride to to Glen Rock and back, where each child will receive a special gift from Santa’s helper. The excitement will build as you get back to the station for a visit to Santa! Disembark and travel through a Winter Wonderland to meet the big guy himself, where you will receive a keepsake picture of your visit! And it wouldn’t be the Santa Express without hot chocolate and a cookie! Strolling fiddler, Keith Engle, will be providing music to get everyone in the spirit!
Have a great time on your Santa Train Excursion.. and Merry Christmas!