How To Make Yourself A Priority This Year
You know what, you have to take care of yourself if you are going to be able to be there for your family. Learn tips for how you can make yourself a priority this year!
The start of a new year means a lot of pressure for us to start making big changes in our lives, and these can often be a bit overambitious or even impossible. While we may have ended the year with a dose of holiday cheer, that cheer quickly fades when we realize all the things we feel like we should be doing to better ourselves in the new year.
It’s easy to let our own needs get pushed aside because we think we’re supposed to do other things. This is why this year, I urge you to make yourself a priority.
Sunshine Whispers participates in the Amazon Associates and Amazon Influencer Programs. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned on this site and in this post.
Set aside time for yourself
Setting alone time for yourself feels selfish. However, this can give you some time to unwind and even give yourself a chance to rest after a busy day. This is essential for every single one of us! You can use this time to do some journaling, read a good book, or even sort through the mail if that’s really how you want to spend your time.
The important thing is that you take this time to get your foot off the gas pedal and slow down. Calm your mind and focus on what YOU need right now.
Listen to what your body needs
We’re all a little guilty of not listening to our bodies as we should. Whether it’s not drinking enough water or that sense of dread after finishing a newly opened bag of chips, not listening to what our body needs is something we all do. Take a moment to figure out what your body is asking you to do. It could be that you need to get up and move, to get more sleep, or even to eat better.
Say no to something so that you can say yes to yourself
Saying no feels a little dirty. It feels like we’re selfish or that we’re letting others down. However, when you say yes to everything, you end up saying no to yourself. Think about something that you have been saying no to for too long now. Instead, say yes to that new hobby you’ve wanted to start, a coffee with friends, or even going to bed at 8:00. No one is judging here!
Don’t be afraid to start fresh
After all, it is a new year, so don’t be afraid to jump on the whole new year new me trend and start fresh. Think about the bad habits you’ve let yourself fall into this past year, and work to change them. Sometimes this means completely rethinking the way you do something. Taking the time to step back from a situation and think about how it affects you, you can make a world of difference.
Making yourself a priority is not at the expense of your life or anyone else. Taking care of yourself might go against every instinct you have, but if you take the time to make yourself a priority, you’ll find that you have more room and time for everything else you care about.
Now that you are making yourself a priority this year, why not check out these other posts?
- The Importance of Making Mom Friends
- Simple Hacks to Help You Build New Habits
- Why Expressing Gratitude Helps Your Mental Health
- Ways to Practice Growth Mindset In Your Life
- The Benefit of Routine in Forming New Habits
- Healthy Lifestyle Changes That Will Improve Your Mental Health
- How Happiness Can Improve Your Life
- 5 Beliefs You Must Give Up To Be Happier
- The Ultimate List of Things to Track in Your Bullet Journal
- Bullet Journal Hacks and Tips You Need To Know
- How to Organize Your Entire Life in a Notebook Using a Bullet Journal
- A Year of Journaling: 52 Journaling Prompts to Get You Started
- The Beginner’s Guide to Journaling
- 5 Morning Rituals for a Magical Day
- How to Start a Journaling Routine
- Easy Ways to Live More Positively
- How to Recover From Burnout
- 10 Signs You are a Mom Who is Doing Too Much
- The Importance of Mindset For Anything You Will Do In Life
- Self Care for Bad Days
- Self Care When You Only Have 5 Minutes
- Best Self Care Gifts for Moms!