Pumpkin Volcano Science Experiment for Kids
This pumpkin volcano science experiment is the perfect STEM activity to do this Halloween with your kids!
When you go to the pumpkin patch this year, pick up a few extra pumpkins so you can do this super fun pumpkin science experiment with your kids! Yep, don’t just carve your pumpkins into something frightful. Carve out the guts of one of them and create this super cool and spooky pumpkin volcano.
This science experiment is really pretty easy to set up. The entire experiment is not complicated at all (you will spend more time scooping out the pumpkin guts than anything else). Your kids will really love using different colors to create an eerie pumpkin eruption.
Sunshine Whispers participates in the Amazon Associates and Amazon Influencer Programs. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned on this site and in this post.
What you will need for the pumpkin volcano:
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup baking soda
- Food coloring, if desired
- 1 small pumpkin (make sure you get a small pumpkin)
- Melon baller
- Sharp knife
How to do the pumpkin volcano experiment:
1. Using a sharp knife, remove the stem from the pumpkin.
2. With a melon baller, remove the seeds from the pumpkin without removing the bottom so there is a cavity inside the pumpkin.
3. Add baking soda to the pumpkin’s cavity.
4. If using food coloring, add the food coloring.
5. Pour vinegar over the baking soda and watch the eruption.
Look at how cool this eruption is!
Check Out These Science Experiments Too!
- Spooky Science Experiments for Kids
- Apple Volcano Science Experiment
- 20 Candy Science Experiments
- Apple and Pumpkin Science Experiments
- 20 Science Experiments That Are Basically Magic
- 20+ STEM Challenges That Use Simple Materials
- 4 Fun Kitchen Science Experiments to Conduct This Summer
- 15 Amazing Spring Science Experiments
- Edible Slime Recipes
- Slime Recipes with 4 Ingredients of Less
- The Best Electricity Science Experiments for Kids