Floating Craft Stick Rainbow Boat Craft For Kids
This floating craft stick rainbow boat craft for kids would make a great, easy craft to do with kids any time of the year. Plus it doubles as a handmade toy!
I absolutely love simple crafts for kids and you really can’t get much simpler than this craft stick rainbow boat craft! The entire craft should only take maybe 20 minutes to create. It is such a bright and happy craft… and, you know the best part? After you are done making the craft, your kids can play with it!
How cool is that?
Sunshine Whispers participates in the Amazon Associates and Amazon Influencer Programs. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned on this site and in this post.
What you will need to make the craft stick rainbow boat:
- rainbow colored craft sticks
- (if you don’t have rainbow colored craft sticks you can either paint the craft stick or color it with markers)
- paper straws
- scrapbook paper
- hole punch
- hot glue gun and hot glue
How to Make the craft stick rainbow boat:
Make the Boat Base
- Design the base of your boat. First, line up six craft sticks in a row. I love the idea of making a rainbow pattern because.. rainbows! But your kids can design the boat any way they want! If you don’t have colored craft sticks you can color them with paint or markers. Or, you could even just not paint them and draw a design on the craft sticks. Really, the possibilities to be creative are endless!
- Once you design the boat, put the boat together. Note: this craft uses hot glue. Adults should probably handle the hot gluing unless the kids are a bit older.
- Create some braces to hold the craft sticks together. First, cut two craft sticks in half. Then, glue three of those pieces along the top, center, and bottom of the boat base.
- Make sure your craft stick boat is sturdy. Add one more row of support on the bottom. Next glue two full-sized craft sticks to the bottom of the boat on top of the three halves you just added.
Make the sail
- Make the sail for your rainbow craft stick boat. Cut a paper straw in half. After that, cut out a triangle shape from a piece of scrapbook paper. Punch holes in the top and bottom corner of the triangle using a hole punch.
- Slide the straw through each hole to create a fun paper sale for your craft stick boat. Let your kids customize their boat by getting creative with the scrapbook paper! Your kids can even draw their own sail, making it a truly personal craft for kids!
- Finally, secure the sail to the craft stick boat. Squirt a small mound of hot glue in the spot where you want your sail to go. Next, press the bottom of the paper straw into the glue and hold it in place while the glue sets. If your sail is wobbly, simply add more glue to the sides until it feels secure.
Play with your craft stick boat!
Isn’t this such a cute craft idea? Now it’s time to play! After you’re sure all the glue is dry, fill a dish or cake pan with a little bit of water to play with your craft stick boat.
Tip: Use cold water for play. If you use hot water, the glue will melt and your boat will fall apart!
Check out these fun rainbow craft and activity ideas too!
- Dollar Store Cloud and Rainbow Craft Stick Craft
- How to Make Crystal Rainbows
- Rainbow Pancake and Fruit Skewers
- Rainbow Slime!
- Unicorn Paper Plate Rainbow Craft For Kids
- Cereal and Marshmallow Rainbow Necklace
- Rainbow Ribbon Craft