Sunshine Whispers participates in the Amazon Associates and Amazon Influencer Programs. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned on this site and in this post.
Clear Meadow Farms Sunflower Fields: the BEST Sunflower Fields in Maryland
Say goodbye to summer by checking out the Clear Meadow Farms Sunflower fields. It is on the top of the fun things to do with kids in Maryland!
September 2019 update (taken from the facebook page):
OPENING DAY FOR THE SUNFLOWERS IN JARRETTSVILLE IS FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 20TH AT 11AM
This is the announcement you’ve been waiting for!
We will be opening the fields on Friday September 20th. The Parking lot is CLOSED to the public until 11am on Friday September 20th. Again, the parking area is roped off and you will not be able enter and the sunflowers are NOT BLOOMING (currently less than 5%)yet. There’s beautiful sunny weather in the forecast so the sun flower should really be popping by this weekend (September 20th)
Photographers are take photos for their clients and visitors to the fields. All we ask is that you do not inhibit others from enjoying the sunflowers and that you make a donation at our donation box when you are done.
For the most up to date information, including photos with maps and everything, visit this page: https://www.facebook.com/Sunflowers-in-Jarrettsville-Md-1960954814118058/
- Where are the sunflower fields? 3767 Norrisville Rd. Jarrettsville MD 21084. Here are the Google Map directions: https://goo.gl/maps/foeETUcEpm12
- Admission Fee: $5 per car or $1 per person for large buses/groups of sunflower visitors. During peak hours there will be volunteers on hand to collect (cash only) and an honor system bucket during off peak hours.
- The fields will be open to anyone at any time but items will only be for sale during designated viewing times.
- Please don’t cut the flowers, but you can buy pre-cut stems for $1/stem.
- There will also be other yummy treats available for purchase (cash only). More about this from the Facebook page– The personnel that you see working at the sunflower fields do not work for the farmer that has planted the sunflowers. They are volunteers from local churches and other groups that freely give of their time to support the mission projects that will benefit from 100% of the donations collected from this project. The farmer who planted the sunflowers receives no financial benefit whatsoever.
For two weeks every September, Clear Meadow Farms in Harford County puts on the most spectacular end of summer show. There are no lights, no live music, no kiddie rides. However, if make the trek out to Jarrettsville, you will get the unique pleasure of seeing acre after acre of sunflowers, preening and stretching to soak in as much sun as they can.
These sunflower fields were definitely on our list of Fun Things to Do With Kids in Maryland. Check out the gorgeous pictures from our recent trip and hurry on out to celebrate the end of summer with Clear Meadow Farms!
Related: Check out the Kid Friendly Maryland comprehensive resource for parents: Things To Do In Maryland With Kids!
Clear Meadow Farms Sunflower Fields: Fun Things to Do With Kids in Maryland
There really isn’t much to a visit to the sunflower fields. I mean, their beauty is breathtaking and speaks for itself!
Here are a few tips though:
Is this an even year or an odd year?
- This tip is very very important: The sunflower fields rotate locations. In odd years (2015/2017/2019) the fields are planted in Jarrettsville (directions below). However, in even years (2016/2018, etc…) that field was a crop of corn and the sunflowers were actually at a much larger field in Monkton, MD.
- EVEN NUMBERED YEAR DIRECTIONS: These fields are at the corner of Hess Rd. and Rt. 146. There is a Royal Farms convenience store and gas station across the street. If you want actual Google Map directions, I would suggest plugging this address in: 3209 Jarrettsville Pike, Monkton, MD 21111. Alternatively, the sunflower fields are about a mile down the road from the Ladew Topiary Gardens. Either way, they are impossible to miss. These particular sunflower fields are dubbed as, ‘endless sunflowers’ and you can probably figure out why. Park along the street or drive down Hess Road and park if you don’t want your vehicle to be parked along the side of Rt. 146. I don’t want to speculate (because I could be wrong), but it seems like Clear Meadow Farms rotates the field crops between sunflowers and corn. In 2016, they actually have a few stalls set up to sell cut sunflowers, $1 a stem.
- ODD NUMBERED YEAR DIRECTIONS: These particular sunflower fields are not located at the main Clear Meadow Farm. The address for Google Maps is: 3769 Norrisville Rd. Jarrettsville, MD 21084. Here is a link to the Google Maps directions: https://goo.gl/maps/w1TSKmGwFzu. According to their website, the field is located between Smith Hardware and Keene Dodge, across from the Jarrettsville Pharmarcy. If you are coming from Baltimore or points South, you will end up on MD-165N. At the intersection of this road and W. Jarrettsville Rd, turn left. You should be able to see the corner of the sunflower fields peeking out from behind the buildings at the intersection. Drive past the sunflower fields (be careful.. you will definitely want to rubber neck) and then turn right to park in the grassy area next to the fields. There is plenty of parking for the sunflower fields, so please park in the designated areas. New for 2017: Clear Meadow Farms is charing $5/car to park and see the sunflowers. All proceeds will be donated to community organizations.
- The sunflowers in these fields are very accessible for photographers and kids. The sunflower variety is shorter and there are plenty of paths that have been created to make it easy to walk in the middle of the fields.
- One note: There are bees, but seriously, they are not interested in you or your kids. They are only interested in the sunflowers. If you don’t ruffle their feathers, they likely will not bother you.
- The sunflowers in the fields are not for picking. Clear Meadow Farms will be harvesting them and they ask that visitors do not pick them. New for 2017: It seems the farm is selling pre-cut sunflower stems for $1 a stem at stands along the road. They still ask that you don’t pick the flowers, but you can still take a few home with you.
- However, it appeared that dogs on leashes are allowed to frolic in the fields. We saw quite a few doggies. Just remember to pick up the poop (ha!). Sunflowers and doggie doodie don’t mix.
After taking your fill of the sunflower fields, turn left and drive about 1/2 mile down W. Jarrettsville Rd. Stop in at the Jarrettsville Creamery & Deli. We filled up with delicious sandwiches, topped off with a big ice cream cone, and even plugged in a few golden oldies (from the 80’s.. but yeah, I remember it like it was yesterday too!) from the juke box to listen to. Drinks and snacks will also be available for purchase at the sunflower fields (but I highly recommend stopping in here for ice cream and a sandwhich!).
Either way, check out these fields and fast! Peak bloom for 2017 is September 15th!
If you go, here is the website for Clear Meadow Farms:
Here is more information on the Jarrettsville Creamery & Deli:
Thanks for reading!
Sign up for newsletter and receive 'What's Blooming?' Cheat Sheet!
Sign up now to get the FREE Cheat Sheet detailing when and where your favorite flowers are blooming MD, DC, and VA!