Who is the king of the jungle? The lion of course! No zoo animal toilet paper roll crafts for kids series would be complete without a lion. The one we made is not only super ferocious, but also super cute! Read on to find out how simple it was to create!
Lion Zoo Animal Toilet Paper Roll Crafts for Kids
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.
- 1 toilet paper roll
- 1 sheet yellow construction paper or cardstock
- 1 orange foam sheet
- 1 yellow foam sheet
- craft glue
- glue gun and glue
- black sharpie
- pink marker or sharpie
- brown marker or sharpie
- hole punch
- 1 orange and one yellow pipe cleaner
- dog paw stamp
- black stamping ink
- 2 googly eyes
How to Make the Lion Part One:
- In a perfect world, you would be able to find craft rolls at the store that are already rolled in the color you want. However, in my experience, the available colors are rather limited. No worries.. it is surprisingly easy to cover the toilet paper roll in the color of paper you want.
- You don’t want too much excess paper. Line the toilet paper roll up with the bottom edge of the construction paper or cardstock and make a small pencil mark line to denote the length of the toilet paper roll. Move the roll a few inches down the paper and do the same thing. Take a ruler or straight edge and draw a cut line.
- ‘Wrap’ the construction paper around the toilet paper roll to determine how much paper you will need to cover the roll, but not have too much overlap. Again, draw a rough cut line in pencil.
- Cut out the toilet paper roll footprint. It should be a rectangular piece of paper.
- Place the toilet paper roll at the end of the paper. Line it up so that the ends are aligned.
- Apply a thin line of glue on the construction paper directly in front of the toilet paper roll, where the roll touches the paper. Gently ‘roll’ the toilet paper roll onto the glue so that the end if glued on. Then, squeeze glue, covering the rest of the construction paper. Tip: don’t use too much glue. You don’t want glue oozing out the sides and end of the toilet paper roll like a jelly donut. You just want enough glue to ensure the paper sticks to the toilet paper roll.
- ‘Roll’ the rest of the construction paper around the toilet paper roll. Apply another thin layer of glue on the end of the paper in order to ensure the toilet paper roll is completely covered.
- Trim excess paper as needed.
How to Make the Lion Part Two:
- Draw a ‘flat’ circle or ‘fat’ oval on the back of the orange foam. Then draw the mane around the circle. It might be helpful to cut the circle out first, so that you can visualize how big the face of the lion will be. Either way, you may need to measure or eyeball the size of the mane to ensure it is proportional to the rest of the lion body.
- Cut out the lion mane. Apply a thin layer of hot glue to the back inside rim of the cut out circle. Affix the mane to the yellow toilet paper roll so that the cut out circle is fully covered by the toilet paper roll. This will be the lion’s head and mane.
- For effect, use the pink and brown markers to draw swooshing lines on the mane.
- Cut out the monkey head and trim the foam until you get a monkey head shape that suits your taste.
- Stamp two dog paws onto the yellow foam sheet. Use black permanent stamping ink and a dog paw stamp. (Mine is from Stampin’ Up, but paw stamps are very common). Cut the two paws out, close to the paw outline. Try to cut the paws in a half circle, so that there is a straight line at the bottom of the paw. Hot glue the paws to the toilet paper roll, underneath the mane.
- Use the black sharpie to draw the nose, mouth, and whiskers right onto the toilet paper roll, inside the cut out mane. Draw a cute pink tongue with the pink marker.
- Glue the googly eyes on with either craft glue or the glue gun. Note: My daughter did help with the googly eyes, but the eyes proved to be a little small for her to manipulate, so she lost interest quickly.
- For the tail, use the hole punch to punch a small hole about 1-2″ above the bottom back of the toilet paper roll. Note: you will have to squeeze very hard.
- Cut both the yellow and orange pipe cleaners in half. Twist the two pipe cleaners together to create an orange and yellow tail. Push one end through the hole so that the short end is inside the toilet paper roll. Tie a knot and glue the knotted end to the inside of the toilet paper roll with the glue gun. This will anchor the tail. Twist the pipe cleaner around a pen or pencil to mimic a swooshing tail.
There you have it! A very ferocious and super cute lion zoo animal toilet paper roll craft!
One final note: Even though I wanted to make this craft with my daughter, I ended up making most of it on my own. My daughter is 2 years old and still working on all of her fine motor skills. She will love playing with this tiger, and all the other zoo animals I am making. However, her involvement in the creation of this craft was minimal. If your kids are older, they will easily be able to do more of the craft than my 2 year old did.
Thanks for checking out this super cute zoo animal toilet paper roll crafts for kids series!
Did you like this craft? Would you like to see more of the zoo animal toilet paper roll crafts for kids ideas? Check out these posts: