How God’s Comfort Calms Your Spirit
Sometimes life isn’t much fun, is it? Sometimes you are nervous, anxious, worried… Worried about a relationship gone sour. Nervous about the next step. Anxious because there are things that are just troubling your soul. Where is God in the midst of this anxiety? How can our relationship with Him lead us to a more peaceful place? I hope this week’s Sunshine for Your Week comforts you as much as it has comforted me to write about it.
Sunshine for Your Week: God’s Comfort
I am in the middle of a troubling season of life.
- Too many people I know are dying,
- Too many people I know (including myself) are soul weary– bone crushingly exhausted spiritually,
- Too many relationships are anemic or non-existent– too much isolation,
- Too many bad reports at Sweet Pea’s school– too many ‘opportunities’ for course correction at home,
- Too much illness, physical pain, you know– aging.
I know this season will pass eventually. I sense that I might be rounding a corner… but I’m not there yet.
So yeah, I am a bundle of anxiety. So many troubles. So many tears. So much pain.
How does God comfort me in times like this? Well, here are a few thoughts:
- Perhaps God wants me to draw closer to Him. Let me be clear– I do not believe that God smites people. However, I do believe God can use the inevitable pain of this world as a tool to urge us to seek out a closer relationship with Him. Interestingly, when I seek out God in the midst of my pain… I am comforted. Conversely, when I choose to wallow in that pain alone… the pain is only intensified.
- The valleys of life remind me that I am not enough. I am not good enough. This world is not good enough. We were not created to suck the marrow out of this life (even though I admittedly try). We were created to glorify God and eventually live with him for all eternity in heaven.
- This world is not my home. This flawed, sinful, evil world is not my home. Sure, there is a lot to love about this place called Earth. However, ever since Eve took a bite of that fruit and sin entered the world… this place called Earth has been flawed. So, when I am anxious or depressed, I fix my eyes on Jesus– the author and perfector of my faith. I trust that God has a plan for me. I know that that plan ultimately will lead me closer to Him– even if I don’t understand it right now.
- Don’t try to rely on your own strength. You are not strong. However, God is omnipotent. Nestle yourself in the folds of His bosom and let Him fight for you. Is your heart troubled? Take it to the Lord. Have you lost your hope? Put your hope in the promise Jesus’ death, burial, and resurrection.
- Focusing on God can quite literally give you inner peace. Have you noticed that it is impossible to think about more than one thing at a time? So, every minute spent focusing on God is a minute not spent being worried. We know the mind has a powerful impact on our heart.. on our emotions. So, if you are dwelling on God, on Godly things… God’s presence in your life will literally bring peace to your heart.
God’s comforts will literally bring delight to your soul. Try it… you have got nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Thanks for reading and God Bless,
Your post is a wonderful spiritual reminder of priorities. Than you.
And thank you for your encouragement. Your comments always lift my spirits!
I so much appreciate your vulnerability in your sharing. Your list of how God comforts is right on target and I pray the Lord will move above all you can ask or think as you continue to lean into and onto Him for all you need, including His grace to trust Him when you don’t see anything happening to change your circumstances.
Grace and blessings,
Oh Pam, thank you so much for your thoughtful encouragement. I love that Christians can encourage each other just by reminding each other of God’s love for us… of course, that is the entire point of Christian fellowship I suppose. Anyway, thank you! I am confident that this season will pass soon enough.. and then I can be more encouraging to others!