Sunshine Whispers participates in the Amazon Associates and Amazon Influencer Programs. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned on this site and in this post.
Handmade Mother-Daughter Necklace Gift Idea
Mother-Daughter necklaces (aka: Mommy and Me necklaces) are such a sweet and heart warming idea for a Mother’s Day gift. Unfortunately, if you purchased a Mother-daughter necklace, it could set you back over $50.
Why not make a Mommy and Me necklace with your daughter? This idea is so versatile and really pretty. I love the fact that you can choose the color you want. Such a great idea so you and your daughter will always have a piece of your heart (and vice versa).
What you will need:
- Sculpey Polymer Clay
- Heart Shaped Cookie Cutters
- Necklace Cord w/ Clasps
- Cookie Sheet
- Rolling Pin
- Needle Nose Pliers
How to make it!
- Choose your colors and cut your Sculpey into smaller pieces- I used ½ of each color that was in the variety pack, about a 1×1 cube.
- Knead each square until the clay is warm and pliable
- Flatten the pieces and put them on top of each other.
- Break them both in half and layer them on top of each other, repeat until you have several layers.
- Now gently knead the colors together. This will make a nice swirly effect. The more you knead the more blended the colors will become. So once you like how it looks stop kneading.
- Now gently roll out your clay with a rolling pin. It is a good idea to roll it out on a cutting mat, aluminum foil, or wax paper.
- Once it’s rolled to about ¼ of an inch thickness it is time to cut out your heart.
- Choose 2 cookie cutters one medium size and one small.
- Cut out your larger heart.
- Position your smaller cookie cutter and cut out your smaller heart.
- Using a tooth pick poke a hole in the corner of your small heart. Make sure to make this hole big enough for your necklace cording to go through easily.
- Transfer your hearts to a baking sheet and bake according to the package directions.
- Once they are finished it’s time to turn them into necklaces!
- If your cording came with clasps attached you may have to remove on using needle nosed pliers in order to put the cord through the hole in the smaller heart. Thread the cording through the small heart and another piece through the larger heart. Re-attach clasps if needed.
Don’t forget to sign up for access to the Free Printable Library?