Sunshine Whispers participates in the Amazon Associates and Amazon Influencer Programs. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned on this site and in this post.
Ladybugs are so cute, aren’t they? Now that the flowers are blooming, it won’t be long before we start seeing them in our backyard. In the meantime, we made this totally cute and easy ladybug crafts for kids from toilet paper rolls. Read on to find out how we made them!
Toilet Paper Ladybug Crafts for Kids
affiliate links included for your convenience
What you will need:
- Red toilet paper roll. You can make your own red toilet paper roll by either painting the roll or gluing red cardstock to it. However, I purchased this roll as part of a Christmas value-pack. You can’t get any easier than that!
- 1 sheet of black cardstock
- 1 sheet of black craft foam
- 1 black pipe cleaner
- 2 small googly eyes
- dimensionals or Glue Dots
- 1.25″ circle punch
- craft glue
Instructions for how to create the ladybug!
- Fold the black foam sheet in half and cut out a heart shape.
- Use the circle stamp to punch out a generous amount of black dots (approximately 10-12 total) from the black cardstock.
- Cut a 3-4″ slim oval from either the foam sheet or cardstock that remains.
- Stick dimensionals up the back of the red toilet paper roll.
- Turn the foam heart upside down and stick it to the dimensionals. This will form the wings. You will have to play with the heart/wings to ensure the bottom of the wings does not extend beyond the bottom of the toilet paper roll.
- Fold the excess part of the heart/wings (this will be the bottom of the heart) over the top of the toilet paper roll and stick it to the inside of the toilet paper roll with either a dimensional or glue dots
- Next fashion the ladybug antennae from the pipe cleaner.
- Cut the pipe cleaner in half (or thirds depending on how long you want your antennae to be).
- Fold the cut piece of pipe cleaner in half and bend the ends forward to form the end of the antennae
- Fold the slim black oval in half, sticking one half to the top front of the toilet paper roll and the other half to the inside of the roll. Again, you can use either glue dots or dimensionals for this.
- Before sticking the inside half of the oval to the inside of the toilet paper roll, slide the folded pipe cleaner antennae under the folded foam/cardstock so that when you affix the ladybug face to the toilet paper roll, it naturally secures the antennae too.
- Note: I tried sticking the wings and ladybug face to the toilet paper roll craft with glue… but it was a bit unwieldy. I would suggest giving the glue dots a try. They are pretty easy and effective to use!
- Apply two small glue dots (you could use actual glue dots or craft glue) to the face of the ladybug and stick the two googly eyes onto the ladybug face.
- For the ladybug dots there are three easy ways for your small child to participate:
- Option #1: Stick one dimensional on each black dot, peel the backing off and let your kid stick the dot where they want onto the ladybug body.
- Option #2: Stick the dimensionals onto the ladybug body where you want them, peel the backing off and let your kid stick one dot onto each dimensional.
- Option #3: Do either option 1 or 2 but use glue dots.
There you have it– a super easy and cute toilet paper roll ladybug crafts for kids! This entire project took maybe 15-20 minutes to create and since no paint was involved (and very little glue), there was virtually no mess to clean up. Now that is my kind of craft!
Anyway, I hope you loved this craft and will have fun making it with your kids!
Click here for more ladybug craft ideas and thanks for reading!