45 Family Friendly Conversation Starters When You’re Stuck at Home
These 45 family friendly conversation starters are perfect for engaging your kids and really getting to know them. They are fantastic for times when you are stuck at home too!
Being stuck at home may seem like a punishment. But if you think about all the opportunities for family fun, it suddenly becomes a great opportunity for everyone in your family to bond.
With all the time you’ll have with each other, being stuck inside is the perfect time for some deep conversations. But finding the right conversation starters can be difficult, especially when you add kids to the mix.
These 45 family-friendly conversation starters are the perfect way to get your family talking when you’re stuck inside.
Sunshine Whispers participates in the Amazon Associates and Amazon Influencer Programs. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned on this site and in this post.
Turn it into a game!
I love Table Topics soooo much. If you want to bring your family conversations to the next level, check out this awesome option too!
Funny Conversation Starters
Get your kids laughing while also learning more about them with these funny conversation starters for families:
- You get to design a house made out of food – which foods would you use and why?
- If you could live in the world of a TV show, which show would you pick?
- Would you rather sing every time you talked or go to school in your underwear?
- If your pets could talk, what would they sound like?
- If you could talk to one type of animal, which animal would you talk to?
- Would you rather have no arms or no legs?
- If you could make up your own holiday, what would it be called? How would we celebrate?
- If you could have one movie character as your brother or sister, who would you pick? Why?
- What if you could only play with one toy for the rest of your life? Which toy would you pick?
- Would you rather be able to read minds or fly? Why?
- What is the funniest joke you’ve ever heard?
- If you could combine two animals into one, which animals would you put together?
Get to Know You Questions
If you’re hoping to use your time stuck inside to get to know your family members a little better, you’re in luck! I have tons of great get-to-know-you conversation starters that are perfect for kids (and adults) of any age.
- Tell me three things you like most about yourself.
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- If you could travel through time in a time machine, when would you go? Who would you like to meet?
- What three things would you bring with you if you were stranded on an island?
- If you could have milk and cookies with one famous person from history, who would it be? What’s the first question you would ask them?
- If you could pick three words to describe the person to your left, what would they be?
- Tell me about a perfect day for you.
- If you were invisible for a day, what would you do?
- If someone gave you $1 million and said you had to give it to someone else, who would you give it to? Why?
- If you could go back in time and change one moment in your life, what would you change? How do you think your life would be different?
- What is something you’ve done that has made you proud?
- If you could be the best in the world at one thing, what would you want to be the best at?
- If you could trade places with your parents for a day, what would you do?
- What book or movie character is closest to you?
- If you could make a new family rule, what would your rule be?
- If you had to teach your best skill to someone, what would you teach them?
Dinner Conversation Starters
Being stuck at home all day with your family probably means you don’t have a lot to talk about over dinner. Get the dinner conversation started with these simple conversation starters for families.
- What are three foods you love? Tell us three foods do you hate?
- Is there one food you will never try?
- What is one food you could never give up?
- What is your favorite family tradition?
- Do your friends’ families have a fun tradition that you would like to do with us? What is it?
- What is the funniest memory you have with your family?
- If you could learn a new hobby today, what would you want to learn?
- Name five things you’re grateful for today.
- If you could pick the place we go for our next vacation, where would we go?
- If we let you stay up all night, what would you do?
- What is your best talent?
- If you were president for the day, what would you do?
- Where would you go first if you could travel anywhere in the world in an instant?
- If you were a teacher, what would your classroom rules be?
- You have three wishes – what would you wish for?
- If you could change your name, what name would you give yourself?
- If you could stay the same age for the rest of your life, what age would you be? Why?
- Where do you think you’ll be in 10 years? What will you be doing?
More Resources You Can Use Right Now!
- Blank Activity Schedule Planner
- 20 FREE Educational Resources You Can Use Today
- Mom Bucks Reward System Printable Pack
- How Kids Can Build Community During the Time of Social Isolation
- The 5 Love Language of Children
- How To Build A Family Emergency Kit