Sunshine Whispers participates in the Amazon Associates and Amazon Influencer Programs. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned on this site and in this post.
40 Family-Friendly Conversation Starters for Your Thanksgiving Table
Worried you won’t have anything to say at Thanksgiving this year? Check out these 40 family-friendly Conversation Starters for your Thanksgiving table!
Keeping your kids engaged in the conversation is a great way to keep them entertained during holiday dinners. But sometimes it can be difficult to find conversation topics that are interesting to both the kids and the adults at the table.
If you’re looking for ways to keep the conversation flowing this Thanksgiving, you’re in luck! These 40 family-friendly conversation starters are sure to keep everyone talking this holiday season.
Funny Conversation Starters
Looking to lighten things up at the dinner table this Thanksgiving? These silly conversation starters are the perfect way to get a laugh out of your guests. Some are introspective and others are downright funny, but all of them are sure to spark some interesting conversations at the Thanksgiving table. And they can be directed toward kids or adults, making them perfect for your next holiday get-together.
- Who is the funniest person in the family? What do they do to make you laugh?
- What’s the silliest thing you’re afraid of?
- If you started your own rock band, what would you call it? What instrument would you play?
- If you could have superpowers, what power would you chose? What would you do with your power?
- Do you have a hidden talent? Show us!
- If you could only wear one outfit for the rest of your life, what would you wear?
- What famous person would you like to be your best friend? Why?
Thoughtful Conversation Starters
Sometimes you want the conversation to be a little more serious. If you’d like to use Thanksgiving as a way to get to know your family members better, these thought-provoking conversation starters are perfect!
From interesting questions that will get your guests thinking about themselves to topics that can be enjoyed by your entire family, thoughtful conversation starters are a great way to get to know everyone at your table on a deeper level.
- If you could switch roles and be a kid (or adult) for the day, what’s the first thing you would do? What would you miss about being the age you are now?
- Which family member would you like to get to know better?
- If you won the lottery, what’s the first thing you would buy?
- Do you have any bad habits you wish you could get rid of?
- If you could change your name, what name would you pick?
- Have you ever met anyone famous? What were they like?
- What advice would you give your younger self?
- If you had to leave your home and never come back, what three things would you take with you?
- Would you rather take a trip or receive gifts for Christmas?
- If you could have any job, what would you do?
- If you could change something about yourself, what would it be?
- Who inspired you the most this year?
- What is the best trip you’ve ever been on? What makes it so special?
Conversation Starters for Kids
Sometimes the younger guests need a little push to get into the conversation. These easy conversation starters for kids are a great way for the children to be part of the conversation and learn more about their family members.
In addition to allowing the younger guests to lead the conversation for a period of time, these kid-friendly questions also help them gain the perspective of others at the table.
- What happened on the day I was born?
- What is your favorite childhood memory?
- How do you think being a kid is different now than when you were my age?
- What is your favorite thing about the person on your right?
- How did you celebrate Thanksgiving when you were my age?
- What advice would you give kids today?
- What old movie do you think I would like to watch?
Holiday Conversation Starters
Put the focus on the holiday with these simple holiday themed conversation starters. These conversation topics will help your family reflect on their blessings, build excitement for the upcoming Christmas holiday, and learn more about their family members.
From lighthearted questions about holiday festivities to more thought-provoking questions about thankfulness, this list of holiday conversations starters are perfect for Thanksgiving.
- What are you most thankful for this year?
- What blessings do you have to look forward to next year?
- If you could only eat one food from Thanksgiving dinner for the next year, what would you pick?
- What’s your favorite way to use leftover turkey?
- What brought you the most happiness this year?
- Do you plan on going Black Friday shopping? Where will you go?
- What is your favorite holiday tradition?
- What is your favorite part of Thanksgiving?
- When will you start decorating for Christmas?
- What holiday movie is first on your must-watch list?
- If you could only pick one holiday to celebrate each year, which holiday would you chose?
- What popular holiday dish do you dislike? Why?
- If you could invite anyone to our next Thanksgiving dinner, who would you invite?