Recently, my daughter and I went on a lovely hike in a local nature preserve. I have always loved hiking, and going on hikes is a great way to cultivate a love for the outdoors in kids as well! This day was no exception to that rule. On this particular day, our path was covered with humongous pine cones. They were everywhere! So, I pulled out a plastic bag and we started collecting a few to bring home with us. My daughter called them her treasures. I started thinking of ways to transform the pine cones into a cute craft. Honestly, it wasn’t hard to think of the idea for Pine Cone Pals. It is one of the cardinal rules of making crafts with your kids: a little paint, a couple of googly eyes, and a pom pom nose– and any ‘ordinary’ object can be transformed into something adorably cute. Read on to see how to make these cute pine cone crafts for kids!
Super Cute Pine Cone Pals
Affiliate links included for your convenience.
- Pine Cones (I suppose that is obvious)
- Acrylic Paint (multiple colors– we used pastel colors)
- Glitter Glue
- Craft Glue
- Medium-Sized Googly Eyes (2 per pal)
- Medium-Size Pom Poms
- Pipe Cleaners (various colors, 2 per pal)
How to Make Pine Cone Pals:
- In order to contain ‘the big mess’ and make clean-up easier, I put everything in a shallow box (like the kind soda from a store like Costco are packaged in). For the paint, I just squirted a big blob of each color paint on a paper plate (you might want to double up the plates).
- Paint the pine cones. Obvious, I know. However, you may have to show your preschooler how to smoosh the paintbrush deeper inside the crevices of the pine cone in order to cover more surface area.
- If you want the pine cone pals to sparkle, consider squeezing glitter glue on the pine cone ‘petals.’
- Let the pine cones dry.
- Tip the pine cones so that the top is facing you. Glue the googly eyes and pom pom nose to the top of the pine cone for the face. This would be a super easy step for your child to do with you.
- For the pine cone pal antennae, cut one pipe cleaner in half. Wrap each half around a pencil and slide of the pencil to curl it.
- Apply a generous amount of glue on the end of each pipe cleaner half. About half way from the top of the pine cone, stick the two curly pipe cleaner halves inside the pine cone pedals, one on each side of the body.
- For the pine cone pal legs, stuff the middle of the second pipe cleaner in between two rows of pine cone pedals and pull the pipe cleaner down so that the ends make legs. Then twist the ends so that the legs stand on their own. The pine cone pal legs don’t have to look the same.
This craft for kids is really super easy! Aren’t they cute?
Thanks for reading!
Want more crafts for kids ideas? Check out over 100 ideas for cute and easy crafts for kids here.
Letter P Crafts for Preschoolers - 3 Boys and a Dog
Saturday 21st of January 2023
[…] 9. Pinecones start with P as well! Gather up some pinecones this autumn to make some Pine Cone Pals! […]
40+ креативных идей из ШИШЕК для детей – Handmadework.ru
Saturday 16th of April 2022
[…] Узнайте больше на Sunshine Whispers […]
40+ projets créatifs de bricolage en pomme de pin pour les enfants | mes emplois préférés
Saturday 8th of January 2022
[…] Découvrez plus de détails sur Murmures du soleil […]