Everybody has go-to Christmas Cookie Recipes. My personal favorite is the Cherry Delight. Growing up, one of my favorite Christmas traditions was helping my Mom bake the same three or four cookie recipes every year– snowballs, peanut blossoms, and cherry delights. I quickly learned to love this recipe as a way to connect with my family during the holidays. The biggest reason I still bake these cookies every year though is because they are absolutely delicious! They are buttery and moist. They are great as a Christmas dessert treat and honestly… if you want to justify eating cookies for breakfast, they are pretty good for that too (and this is why I gain weight at Christmas, ha!).
Christmas Cookie Recipes: Cherry Delights
- 1 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 container candied cherries
- Separate the eggs and set aside the egg whites.
- Mix the margarine with a hand or stand mixer. Add the sugar and mix. Stir in the light corn syrup and 2 egg yolks.
- Stir in flour to make the dough.
- Chill dough for at least 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven for 325 degrees. Prep cookie sheets with parchment paper and empty walnuts into a bowl.
- Roll into balls, approximately 1- 1 1/2 inch diameter.
- Dip rolled balls into slightly beaten egg yolks. Then dip balls into chopped walnuts. Place balls onto parchment-paper lined cookie sheet.
- Press candied cherry into center of ball.
Bake 20 minutes at 325 degrees.
Additional tip: between batches, return cookie dough to refrigerator.
This recipe will make 30-36 cookies (depends on how big your dough balls are)
Aren’t they pretty?
Thanks for reading and Happy Holiday baking!