Sunshine Whispers participates in the Amazon Associates and Amazon Influencer Programs. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned on this site and in this post.
Corks make such fun paintbrushes! Why not use them to create this simple yet super festive patriotic cork painting craft for kids!
The latest cork painting craft in our series, ‘A Cork Painting Tree For Every Season’ is this super fun patriotic cork painting craft for kids! I know there is no such thing as an American Flag Tree, but why not create one anyway! The tree has red, white, and blue leaves and would be a lovely craft to do with your kids on a sunny afternoon before either Memorial Day or the 4th of July festivities!
Patriotic Cork Painting Craft for Kids
Affiliate links included for your convenience. This means I make a small amount of $$$ if you click on the links and make a purchase. Small being a snack from the vending machine, not a steak dinner. 😉
- 8×10 blank canvas
- Acrylic Paint in the following colors: Light green or yellow-green for the grass, brown for the tree, blue for the background, and for the leaves, red, white, and blue. Note: use a darker blue for the leaves on the tree than for the background. For the background we used a medium hue of blue and that provided a nice contrast.
- Foam paintbrushes; 3 (for the tree, background, and grass)
- corks, one for each leaf color– red, white, and blue
- 1 paper plate (or two paper plates so you can double up and the paint doesn’t bleed through).
How to Make the Patriotic Tree Cork Painting Craft!
- The painting for this craft has to be done in three phases so that each part of the craft dries. You can save time by painting the first stage the night before. However, we did this craft in an afternoon, leaving about 1 hour between phases. Anyway, paint the background first. There is really no right or wrong way to paint the background. I painted straight lines of peach paint. My daughter decided to paint the sky swirly.
- Next up is the tree and grass. Again, this is pretty simple. The only thing you need to do is paint numerous branches. For the grass, just use the tip of the foam paintbrush and make slash lines like grass. The other option is you could make a grassy hill. If you decide to do this, you will want to paint the tree first and let it dry before painting the grass.
- Squirt a small amount of each color of the acrylic paint onto a paper plate (or another paint palette). I used a paper plate only because it was available and cheap.
- Stick one cork into each paint squirt and set up the paint palette next to the canvas.
- Don smocks and have fun!
- It’s nice to paint the tree and have some leaves flakes falling from the tree too. You can also have a few leaves on the ground for a nice touch! It is totally up to you!
And here is my cute daughter posing with a number of our creations we made on a snow day!
We actually made a Cork Painting Tree For Every Season. Here is a link to all four crafts!