Good morning! I don’t know about your area of the country or world, but life in Central Maryland has been topsy turvey this last week. We officially received record snowfalls and were given the opportunity to take a ‘snow-cation’ whether we wanted to or not. Regardless of our perceived hardship though, we are a people most blessed, aren’t we? A coworker of mine returned last week from a trip to India and one of her biggest take-aways from the trip was the fact that the vast majority of people in a nation like India are unfathomably poor by U.S. standards. The point of reference she shared was of an overnight their group spent in a village. The weather was cool… 40 degrees. And yet, kids were running around with barely a shirt on.
What Have You Done For the Least of These Lately?
So, here is the question I wanted to ask today, on this Thoughtful Thursday… Jesus commands us to help widows are orphans. He admonishes us to take care of the poor. Are we really doing it though? Are you? I can’t really say that I am. Here are a few ways you can help someone less fortunate than yourself.. both in the United States and abroad:
- Donate food to a food bank
- Serve meals at a homeless shelter
- Visit residents in a nursing home
- Write a letter of encouragement to an inmate in prison
- Donate a small amount of money to help pay for clean water for women in need
- Spend time at a shelter for battered women
- Listen to your kid when they are talking to you.. really listen
- Teach someone to read
These are just a few small ideas. Why don’t you spend a few moments this week and come up with your own list. I would love to hear your ideas!
Thank you for reading,